Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Resource compiler for console applications

Started by nidud, October 24, 2012, 12:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

japheth

Quote from: jj2007 on October 25, 2012, 09:22:20 PM
It's not child's play, of course, but IMHO a pretty basic exercise (sorry, can't help you with C code....):

Even a macro that consists of just EXITM may not work, since the argument behind EXITM may be another macro. So you'll probably have to add recursion in your source sample ( which I cannot read, because I'm suffering from a severe BaSiCphobia , sorry! ).

jj2007

Quote from: japheth on October 26, 2012, 07:04:04 PM
... your source sample ( which I cannot read,

Strange, very strange: JWasm has no problems to read my sources :icon_mrgreen:

nidud

deleted

jj2007

Hi nidud,

AFAICS the problem is mainly relevant for two cases: elseif macro() and or'ed macros like this:
   ; Let esi="This is a stupid test"
   .Break .if Instr_(esi, "stuupid")   ; works correctly
   ; both macros get expanded at the label, but only the second one gets tested
   .Break .if Instr_(esi, "stuupid") || Instr_(esi, "stupid")

There is, of course, a simple workaround for the latter case: two .Break .if lines.
Again, a warning for the noobs would be luxury, but Japheth seems not so eager to dig into it, so I'll pull out and leave him in peace  :icon14:

nidud

deleted

jj2007

Quote from: nidud on October 27, 2012, 04:12:12 AM
The next trick is to halt expansion of these two:
.elseif macro
.while macro

Right, I forgot the .While macro() case in my post above.

nidud

deleted

nidud

deleted

japheth

Quote from: nidud on October 27, 2012, 08:12:52 AM
I forgot..
The new declaration for ParseLine:

ret_code ParseLine ( char *line, struct asm_tok tokenarray[] )

Inserted below label function:

/* expand the line */
    if ( CurrIfState == BLOCK_ACTIVE ) {
/* expand (text) macros. If expansion occured, rescan the line */
while ( Token_Count > 0 && ExpandLine( line, tokenarray ) == STRING_EXPANDED ) {
    DebugMsg1(("GetPreprocessedLine: expanded line is >%s<\n", line));
    Token_Count = Tokenize( line, 0, TRUE );
}
    }

/* handle directives and (anonymous) data items */

I just copyed this in there, so this needs some help.

Brrr, what an ugly mess - just for such a VEEEEERRRRY minor issue!? If you mix preprocessor and parser functionality like in your proposal, you'll end in a totally unreadable and unmaintainable pile of sh...

btw, you don't want to query CurrIfState once the conditional assembly directives (IF, ELSE,...) have been handled in the preprocessor.

nidud

deleted

japheth

Quote from: nidud on October 27, 2012, 08:27:29 PM
Good (or at least better)?

I don't dare to judge.

The only approach that has a faint chance to be implemented is to delay macro expansion by some kind of syntax extension. You can see this approach in effect in struct initialization, when a macro call is located within the initialization literal. Quite the same approach may be added to the hll directives, that is, the macro call has to be enclosed in <>:

.if <whatever()>

with this approach, you just have to add a few lines in hll.c ( determine if there's a literal following the directive and if so, expand the rest of the line ), the rest of the code remains as it is.

nidud

deleted

jj2007

Quote from: nidud on October 28, 2012, 06:26:02 AM...but a regression test will probably tell a different story.

Unfortunately yes. My little testbed (attached) with the .While Instr_(esi, ... stuff reports plenty of errors, while the latest JWasm build (25-Oct-2012 04:03) works just fine.
Strangely enough, your modified version assembles my fat testbed without any problems. So it must really be the specific "warning" code.

In the meantime, I have instructed my editor (RichMasm, part of the MasmBasic package) to issue a warning for
.While mac()
and
.elseif mac()
- imho the most relevant cases. That was really hard work for a noob who understands only BASIC, but it seems to fit the purpose, and the performance loss is acceptable: overall build time with JWasm is 0.2% slower for the RichMasm source with its 14,000 lines :biggrin:

nidud

deleted

nidud

deleted