News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Assembly version

Started by Megalon, April 12, 2024, 03:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalon

Hi, I started watching videos on youtube to learn the basics of Assembly. I also watched some hello world style videos and all of them gave me bugs except this one.

I also noticed his syntax is different than the others I've watched, but it runs error free on my computer, sadly he only has this 1 short video from 14 years ago so I can't learn anything else from it.

My pc is running win xp pro 32bit with Intel I3-2100 if that helps. I am not sure what flavor of Assembly I should be learning.

learn64bit

NoCforMe

Quote from: Megalon on April 12, 2024, 03:45:57 AMMy pc is running win xp pro 32bit with Intel I3-2100 if that helps. I am not sure what flavor of Assembly I should be learning.
No, system flavor doesn't matter in this case.

Learn our flavor. That is, 32-bit MASM (not 64-bit!), using the MASM32 package which you can download from this site, utilizing the Microsoft assembler (ml.exe) and linker (link.exe).

I've been using them for years and they work fine. Standard Intel assembler syntax. Lots of examples here. Lots of folks here to help you if you get into trouble.

So far as learning assembly-language programming from YouTube videos goes, forget about it.

And welcome to the forum!
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

jj2007

Quote from: NoCforMe on April 12, 2024, 04:35:46 AMthe MASM32 package which you can download from this site

It's here. Welcome to the forum :thup:

sudoku

The Masm32 SDK has an 'examples' folder to help you to get started.  :thumbsup:
:eusa_naughty:

Megalon

Quote from: learn64bit on April 12, 2024, 03:50:19 AMpost bug, share resolve

For example when I try sample code off youtube videos like the Masm32 tutorial series or out of Kip Irvine's Assembly x86 book. It either won't work or works partially but crashes and gives me an error message:

"Test.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvience."

And I can either Debug, Send error report, or Don't send, but when I hit debug(or any other button) it just closes out.

This happens to all code I tried from Jlearn PH MASM32 Assembly tutorial series on Youtube. The programs either don't work or oaryially work but crash. I.e the input string example, I can type a name and return the name but then it crashes, others won't even assemble.

jj2007

If you want help on something, always zip your complete code and attach it to your post.

Most YouTube videos are just crap. As sudoku wrote, there is the \Masm32\examples folder - a really good collection. Check also Tips, Tricks and Traps, especially the Help and tutorials, recommended reading section.

Megalon

Quote from: NoCforMe on April 12, 2024, 04:35:46 AM
Quote from: Megalon on April 12, 2024, 03:45:57 AMMy pc is running win xp pro 32bit with Intel I3-2100 if that helps. I am not sure what flavor of Assembly I should be learning.
No, system flavor doesn't matter in this case.

Learn our flavor. That is, 32-bit MASM (not 64-bit!), using the MASM32 package which you can download from this site, utilizing the Microsoft assembler (ml.exe) and linker (link.exe).

I've been using them for years and they work fine. Standard Intel assembler syntax. Lots of examples here. Lots of folks here to help you if you get into trouble.

So far as learning assembly-language programming from YouTube videos goes, forget about it.

And welcome to the forum!

Thank You, I was wondering because I heard  besides 32 vs 64 bit assembly language can  also differ from hardware to hardware.

I tried MASM32 codes from videos but still errors, i was wondering if I needed a specific style of assembly because whatever the guy in the first video did worked easy and error free when I ran it.

I will also try the masm32 examples recommemded here tonight and see how it goes.

Megalon

Quote from: sudoku on April 12, 2024, 05:00:58 AMThe Masm32 SDK has an 'examples' folder to help you to get started.  :thumbsup:

Thank you! I am going to look through it tonight.

Megalon

Quote from: jj2007 on April 12, 2024, 05:29:58 AMIf you want help on something, always zip your complete code and attach it to your post.

Most YouTube videos are just crap. As sudoku wrote, there is the \Masm32\examples folder - a really good collection. Check also Tips, Tricks and Traps, especially the Help and tutorials, recommended reading section.

Thanks! I will have to check out that out tonight along with the examples, yes the youtube videos have left me more lost than anything at this point.

jj2007

Quote from: Megalon on April 12, 2024, 05:35:00 AM32 vs 64 bit assembly language can  also differ from hardware to hardware

True. There is hardware with different processors, like Apple's M series. Some have a Z80 or a Motorola processor.

However, 95%+ of all notebooks run on good old Intel & AMD processors, and don't have any compatibility problem.

NoCforMe

You could post your code here if you like. (Best way: paste the source code text into your message, select that text and use the "Code" button, 2nd button, 6th group in the reply panel.) We might be able to tell you quickly why it crashes.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.