Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests
NB: Posting URL's See here: Posted URL Change

Main Menu

debug symbols

Started by satpro, June 24, 2024, 11:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

satpro

I am hoping someone has an answer to this.  I need to find a way to generate symbols in an x64 GoAsm program.  Everything was good with GoBug until I moved over to 64-bit.  Looking at symbols in a debugger is so much better than guessing at everything.

I use GoLink and x64dbg now but am open to any linker that might be used with GoAsm.

Thank you.

fearless

https://github.com/x64dbg/x64dbg/issues/2264

ML.EXE /c /coff /Cp /Zi /Zd /nologo /I:"\Masm32\Include" MyApp.asm
LINK.EXE /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /DEBUG /DEBUGTYPE:CV /PDB:"MyApp.pdb" /VERSION:4.0 /LIBPATH:"\Masm32\Lib" /OUT:"MyApp.exe" MyApp.obj, MyApp.res
Not used GoAsm, so dont know if using just the microsoft linker will work, or if GoAsm.exe requires some other switch equivalent to the /Zd one used in ML.exe

satpro

Quote from: fearless on June 24, 2024, 07:09:58 PMNot used GoAsm, so dont know if using just the microsoft linker will work, or if GoAsm.exe requires some other switch equivalent to the /Zd one used in ML.exe

Thank you.  That is my question, too.  I will keep looking, but it is confusing, to say the least.

Ahhh.... here is wishing for a GoBug made with all 64 bits...  :eusa_pray:

I am going to have to try something.

wjr

I use an older version of x64dbg, snapshot_2018-06-19-02, which I believe was one of the last versions that still supported embedded COFF debug symbols in the EXE.

fearless

I think at some point x64dbg used DbgHelp and then moved over to DIA instead from what I recall. So possibly thats the reason the older snapshot supports that, perhaps?

satpro

Quote from: wjr on July 02, 2024, 07:28:12 AMI use an older version of x64dbg, snapshot_2018-06-19-02, which I believe was one of the last versions that still supported embedded COFF debug symbols in the EXE.

That was exactly what I needed!  Works great, too.

Thank you.

TimoVJL

Same problem is with Pelles C since version 9, as it no longer have CV debug format.
May the source be with you

greenozon

Never seen before the GoBug debugger

it looks... like from the stone age but still fully functional!