Message to All Guests
NB: Posting URL's See here: Posted URL Change

Main Menu

MRU help

Started by ognil, October 02, 2024, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ognil

Hi guys,

This is my Template64 project for young MASM beginners, still under development.
If you select ribbon-File, you will see "Recent documents".
I need some clue about the algo and/or code of this module.

Thanks!
"Not keeping emotions under control is another type of mental distortion."

NoCforMe

We'd like to see some code here, not just an .exe.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

jj2007

Lingo posting executables :greensml:

BugCatcher

The size of the file tells me its not assembler

ognil

IDA64 is your friend. :smiley:

sinsi

OK, so I took a chance and ran the program. It seems to be an editor?
However, writing some text, inserting an image and saving it (as a .rtf) just saves a plain text file, no image - not even rich text.

How is it a template?

ognil

Thanks sinsi,

It is still not ready for Testing, and I will  ask for testing when I'm ready.

ognil

I was hoping someone might give me some help

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

NoCforMe

What kind of help do you want?
If it concerns your code, then nobody can help you unless you post at least some of your damn code. We're not mind readers here, you understand.
We cannot give you any help from just your executable.
You haven't been specific at all on just what you need help with.
Work with us and you'll get some help.

zedd151

Here are a couple links regarding a MRU list in an editor.

Quote from: jjAttached a little demo project; I'd like to get some feedback on the behaviour of the MRU menu.
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?msg=79557

Quote from: jjThe source is 125 lines short. Features:
- mru (most recently used) files (a feature I definitely miss in QEditor)
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?msg=125007

Have Phun.  :biggrin:

No charge jj, for the referral.  :tongue:
"We are living in interesting times"   :tongue:

ognil

Thank you NoCforMe,

Quoteby NoCforMe: Work with us and you'll get some help.

I tried on these 3 pages as well as my first post on this forum about "Shortcut". Then you and zedd151 sent me to JJ. He was kind enough to send me to school to learn a new language
(a dialect of Basic).

So the result of this "Work with us and get help" is null. I'm sorry!

From these 3 pages, only JJ knows about MRU because he used it in his editor.
Unfortunately his MRU is for regular menu.

My MRU will be for Ribbon, which is a mixture of two parts: MRU class plus Ribbon class.

Biterider has a ribbon example, but without MRU.  He also has a good description of red-black trees.
I use 3 red-black trees as a database to quickly search and highlight service words.

A ribbon is a collection of C++ classes.
Based on your nickname and the picture below, it seems that this is not your preferred language. :biggrin:

Thank you zedd151,

Quoteby jj: Attached a new version of my simple multilingual editor. Building requires MasmBasic of 7 November 2023

Please, don't send me again back to school. :badgrin:

zedd151

Sorry 'bout that. Not a lot of folks around here had done much MRU work that I know of, except jj2007.  And I have no clue what a 'ribbon' is, and doubt I will ever really need to know. Sorry I could'nt find anywhere on the forum the help that you seek. But, I tried. Personally I don't have much use for an MRU, so never learned how to code for one. (It can't be that hard, though) My editors that I had created are basically modeled after qEditor, or are very similar to it. A plain old ascii text editor, without any bells and whistles. Just a tool that gets the job done.  :smiley:

Perhaps if you post or attach the code you have started, someone here might be able to assist you in getting the end result you desire regarding the MRU. No one is going to write it for you, but they may offer help to finish what you have already started.
"We are living in interesting times"   :tongue:

stoo23

Ognil,

I have done what you asked and have attempted to tidy this thread up to TRY and keep it 'on focus' but that undoubtedly, will NOT happen, if (after a couple of posts by members actually being very specific about helping), you make a post like your last post,... in effect being Critical and making assumptions about the other members knowledge and skill etc.

QuoteI tried on these 3 pages as well as my first post on this forum about "Shortcut"
Personally, I find your initial post to be somewhat Cryptic and does Not clearly delineate exactly What you are looking for help on,... specifically. I also see NO previous reference to ... 'Shortcut' ???

Quoteonly JJ knows about MRU because he used it in his editor.
Hmmm, that's quite a statement to suggest about the 'unknown' possible knowledge of a Lot of members, including those directly involved in this thread !!
NOT a great way to illicit help, by suggesting no one knows, what,.. apparently you don't either.
I'd probably be somewhat loathe to help you as well,.. after your suggestion that ONLY jj knows etc.

May I suggest if you REALLY Do need help in this matter, you could do yourself a great service and possibly avail yourself of other members knowledge by being somewhat more creative, reserved and less critical and dismissive of other members in your responses and replies.

Perhaps No one can help but I doubt you'll find out if you aren't prepared to get creative and work With those trying to help.
 :smiley:

NoCforMe

Look, a MRU (most recently-used) list isn't rocket science.

As the name suggests, it's just a list of the n most-recently-used files used by the application (where n is set by the application--the number of MRUs). So far as I know, there's no standard way to implement this (though there may be some ready-made APIs for it).

All you need to do is to maintain a list of files opened by the app, and display them for the user to select from, usually under the File menu.

There are a couple of ways to store and retrieve this information: using a configuration file (my preference), usually kept in the same folder as the application executable, or in the registry (ugh! not my preference, but some people prefer that).

The MRU list is usually limited to some small fixed number of entries. Some applications allow you to set this number (up to a limit) as an option.

That pretty much covers it. Any more questions?

sinsi