Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

7-zip

Started by shankle, April 23, 2013, 07:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

They are now charging for 7-zip.
What alternative to this program do I have?

dedndave

are you sure about that ?

http://www.7-zip.org/

it's open source

shankle

Hi Dave,
No, not sure.
Will check out the site you mentioned.
The one I was on was in Source Forge and my virus
checker did a lot of complaining

Don't know if a 32-bit zip will work on a 64-bit puter.

dedndave

i don't know if they have a 64-bit version
you may have to allow the program as an exception to your AV program
so - that will give you a little experience using it - lol
you may want to check their forum or faq for how to do it

anunitu

There are more than a few archiving programs out there now,and most handle most all formats. If indeed someone has decided to charge for 7zip that would be a stupid move because there are many choices for archiving programs. It is possible someone created something like 7zip using the source,but they would have had to REALLY improve it to think of charging for it. I think under the GPL that is allowed.
But if it is just a clone,it would not really be something someone could charge for and expect any takers.

jj2007

Here is an excellent overview. Sort by efficiency to see the one that I am using ;-9

Gunther

Thank you for the good overview, Jochen. So FreeARC is your favorite tool, isn't it?

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

Vortex

QuoteCan I use 7-Zip in a commercial organization?

Yes, 7-Zip is free software. You can use it on any computer. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip.

http://www.7-zip.org/faq.html

Gunther

Erol,

Quote from: Vortex on April 23, 2013, 09:20:24 PM
QuoteCan I use 7-Zip in a commercial organization?

Yes, 7-Zip is free software. You can use it on any computer. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip.

http://www.7-zip.org/faq.html

thank you for the clearification. It would indeed be a bit strange to pay for 7-zip.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

jj2007

Quote from: Gunther on April 23, 2013, 08:32:00 PM
Thank you for the good overview, Jochen. So FreeARC is your favorite tool, isn't it?

Yes, I use it every day, with my own GUI. It compresses about twice as well as WinZip, and even better if you have many small similar files. The only drawback is that the DLL is badly documented and incomplete, so I have to use pipes to make it work.

shankle

Thank you jj2007 for the excellent overview.

Lets say I use FreeArc to zip my files. What will Joe Blow the button pusher use to unzip them?
Most likely 7-zip. Wonder if that will cause him problem?
Really want one that works without doing anything special to it.

jj2007

Quote from: shankle on April 23, 2013, 11:03:57 PM
Thank you jj2007 for the excellent overview.

Lets say I use FreeArc to zip my files. What will Joe Blow the button pusher use to unzip them?
Most likely 7-zip. Wonder if that will cause him problem?
Really want one that works without doing anything special to it.

FreeArc has its own GUI, which I find mildly confusing. What I expect from a GUI is that it recreates the tree structure, what they (FreeArc, 7-zip, WinZip, ...) usually offer is
1. a prefilled destination folder which is not the root (stupid),
2. no info on whether (and how) the tree will be restored (equally stupid),
3. all files unselected - where I would expect to see only those selected that are newer (if in extraction mode) or older (if in refresh mode).

Somehow the authors of zip GUIs have completely different needs. So I always end up rolling my own GUI... ;-)