Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Coding challenges site

Started by jj2007, January 18, 2014, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Have a look at https://www.hackerrank.com/categories/algorithms/strings
Great site, compiles code in many languages but unfortunately not in assembler...

Gunther

Jochen,

Quote from: jj2007 on January 18, 2014, 06:06:57 PM
Have a look at https://www.hackerrank.com/categories/algorithms/strings
Great site, compiles code in many languages but unfortunately not in assembler...

a good place for young, talented coders searching for a job.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

dedndave

hutch--

I have this cynicism about coding challenges as I have seen thees things abused for many years. Some smart arse who cannot write the code required puts up a challenge in the hope of getting enough patsies to write it for him. If enough people respond they can then pick their way through the results to get the best and its all for free. I tend to respond to coding challenges by referring such people to "Rent A Coder" where they can pay for what they need instead of trying to bludge it from someone else.

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on January 21, 2014, 03:48:14 PMSome smart arse who cannot write the code required puts up a challenge in the hope of getting enough patsies to write it for him.

Valid argument, but the challenges at that site are too "artificial" to be useful to anybody. What they claim quite openly is that who wins challenges there will probably be contacted by software companies looking for good coders. Which is not a bad thingTM imho.

dedndave

some are interesting - that's about the extent of it
for code, the challenge is often something like "least lines" or "least code"
which only has meaning if you are writing ROM-able code - lol
well - the boot sector challenges on OsDev.org are a little bit interesting and educational

the hackaday site i posted earlier has hardware hacks, as well
some of them are very interesting - and can lead to real-world product innovation
sometimes, they offer a little fuel for thought, if nothing else