News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests
NB: Posting URL's See here: Posted URL Change

Main Menu

Do I need to download Link563.exe and CV41patch.exe along with masm32 download?

Started by amrak, March 12, 2015, 01:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amrak

Hi all,
I am a complete beginner in assembly language. I have finished reading about 80x86 processor and now it is time to write some assembly codes for the 8086(16 bit) processor. I am about to begin the journey of assembly program using masm. Is masm32 the right assembler for me to use as the processor that I studied is 16 bit. I am currently going through http://www.intelligent-systems.info/classes/ee360/tutorial.htm  a tutorial. The tutorial is directing me to download link563.exe and cv41 patch. I have done it as directed by the author. ML command is working fine but cv command gives me "NTVDN.EXE has stopped working" error on my windoes 8 pc. I wonder if downloading those files is the cause. I would sincerely be happy if someone could kindly answer or clarify my doubts.

Thank You
Regards

GoneFishing

Quote from: amrak on March 12, 2015, 01:48:18 AM
ML command is working fine but cv command gives me "NTVDN.EXE has stopped working" error on my windoes 8 pc. I wonder if downloading those files is the cause. I would sincerely be happy if someone could kindly answer or clarify my doubts.
Probably it was NTVDM .  CV  is 16 bit CodeView debugger , I guess . You cannot run 16 bit applications on Windows 8 . You may try one of virtual machines . DosBox for example. I have just tryed CV in DosBox and it started as expected.

P.S.: Why do you learn 16 bit ASM?

amrak

Thank you for the reply :t. I will install dosbox and give it a go. I am following a book by "Randal Hyde, Art of assembly", it is based on 80x86 processor which is based on 16 bit. Should I change my reference to some other 32 bit assembly book, is there any, a good one you can recommend? Thanks for the reply once again!!

jj2007

You should definitely drop the idea to use 16-bit code. It's obsolete.
Re books, have a look at "recommended reading" here.

amrak

Quote from: jj2007 on March 12, 2015, 04:13:08 AM
You should definitely drop the idea to use 16-bit code. It's obsolete.
Re books, have a look at "recommended reading" here.
Thank you, you really helped!

dedndave

i hope that code view patch didn't cause any damage
i wouldn't use code view, anyways   :P

as Jochen mentioned, use 32-bit if you can   :t