Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

"Hello masm32", not a BOT, new member

Started by LordAdef, January 22, 2017, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordAdef

Hello everyone,

Please allow me to introduce myself and tell why and how I am here today.

.me
  I´m Alex (LordAdef is an old avatar I can´t get rid of...it´s my Macro  :greensml:). I´m Brazilian and am 45. I am a music composer and music producer. As everyone around my age, I started programming BASIC, qBASIC etc.... Afterwards I had some quick experience with C. I quit programming when classical music came in and took all my time. Then it came Bachelor Degree and Masters Degree. After things got quieter, the addiction hit me back and I made several programs in a language called Lingo (native of the former Macromedia Director). It was crap, but I had some fun.

So, as an introduction, I´m not a professional and not a student under supervision, I´m only brave :D

.why?
Recently, addiction hit me again... I need to bloody program!! I need to bloody program!!
Options for serious stuff, not toys, were down to:
  C++  -> absolutely not
  C or Assembly  -> ?????????

C came out being the one... thousands of links tutorials, videos in youtube and so forth..
  Assembly was once again left behind

.Then
  VStudio is free, soon I finished a quite nice game prototype all in pure C, using the SDL libs. Great!!!
  Meanwhile, I couldn´t resist and was reading all I could find about asm on the internet. Believe me, I know all the tuts in youtube. I read a couple of books either.

.aFeedback
  Asm is not "Not for the faint of heart" (now a legendary line for me)... finding your way around it today without supervision IS...

I would love if some of you top guys could someday write a "Get started"... Assembly deserve a complete and up to date one. For me was like coming into a jungle... it still is!!!

.foundYou
  So I decided for MASM. It was an easy choice really. I didn´t know (as most of us noobs) the HLL capabilities. And them I MASM32.
  At this point I already know most of you by name(Hutch, Gunther, jj, etc..)! I´ve been reading this forum for a long long time. GREAT PEOPLE!!!
  Hutch, I think you are a legend! your work and efforts brought me to Assembly

.Enough
  I could be writing nonstop about this Saga for ages.
  I don´t know anything, I´m just starting. I won´t fill the forum with question after question (I read the rules  :eusa_dance:). But if anyone could provide me with some help, this would be great.

Thank you for MASM32 existence

ps: edited typos

jj2007

Welcome to the Forum, Alex - you are at the right place here :icon14:

hutch--

Hi Alex,

Good to see you here. We will lead you astray with the intent of seeing you produce small fast code. The line "not for the faint of heart" is in fact true, assembler programming is hard to learn, brutally intolerant and will bite you on the arse for the slightest mistake but it teaches you to do things the right way the first time, don't take crappy short cuts and to write reliable code. It can be a rough ride at first but once you get it, its a ton of fun and you get high quality results from it.

Magnum

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

LordAdef

Quote from: jj2007 on January 22, 2017, 10:18:15 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Alex - you are at the right place here :icon14:

Thank you JJ! It took me a while to join. By the way, I downloaded MasmBasic too. In fact, I followed your tips and tricks page when downloaded masm32!

LordAdef

Quote from: hutch-- on January 22, 2017, 01:36:37 PM
Hi Alex,

Good to see you here. We will lead you astray with the intent of seeing you produce small fast code. The line "not for the faint of heart" is in fact true, assembler programming is hard to learn, brutally intolerant and will bite you on the arse for the slightest mistake but it teaches you to do things the right way the first time, don't take crappy short cuts and to write reliable code. It can be a rough ride at first but once you get it, its a ton of fun and you get high quality results from it.

I´m feeling at home already by the warm welcome!
I guess we find the right place when you find people with common interests. I could be doing my C thing and make my life easier. But you know.... Assembly looks so more obvious to me... and I always forget the bloody semicolons at the end of lines... Assembly don`t have them  :greenclp:

So I know the homework... I bought the new Rolling Stones album and am ready to crack on the masm32 help files.

I also am reading the whole Campus forum. It´s something the Newbies should do before asking the same questions. It´s greatly informative since you guys already answered many of the same questions.

I installed masm32 in a different computer from the VStudio one. It´s a clean start. I´m fine with no syntax highlighting, but still need to get used not to have the integrated debugger as in VS. For that I downloaded the Olly one as JJ suggested

LordAdef

Quote from: Magnum on January 23, 2017, 03:05:46 PM
Welcome Alex.

Andy

Thanks Andy!
For how long do we have to keep answering these verification questions?

hutch--

not for long, its only to deter spammers.

mineiro

I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

AssemblyChallenge

Hi, and welcome to the forum :biggrin:

If you are just setting up your workshop, most people here will not recommend VS because it's too big and bloated.

Hardcore assemblers go with something simpler like Top Gun editor (included in MASM32). As someone who already tried Radasm and Winasm, I gave my vote to EasyCode if you want 32/64 bits, WYSIWYG and syntax highlighting in a breeze; EC's help file is worth its weight in gold by itself. :lol:

Happy coding :t

LordAdef

Quote from: mineiro on January 24, 2017, 02:00:38 AM
hello LordAdef, welcome irmão
[<o>]

Hey Mineiro, I already knew there was a fellow country man here. Obviously, by your name and the Raul Seixas´ quote you use in your posts  :t

Thanks for stopping by and say hello.

I´m from Rio de Janeiro, and I guess you are in Minas, right?

LordAdef

Quote from: AssemblyChallenge on January 25, 2017, 08:34:21 AM
Hi, and welcome to the forum :biggrin:

If you are just setting up your workshop, most people here will not recommend VS because it's too big and bloated.

Hardcore assemblers go with something simpler like Top Gun editor (included in MASM32). As someone who already tried Radasm and Winasm, I gave my vote to EasyCode if you want 32/64 bits, WYSIWYG and syntax highlighting in a breeze; EC's help file is worth its weight in gold by itself. :lol:

Happy coding :t

Hi AssemblyChallenge, thanks for the advises. I´m aware of the VS thing. In fact, I installed masm32 in a different computer (faaaaar away from VS). To be quite honest, I still miss the integrated debugger of VS, but I´m getting used to the new tools (and getting to know then)

I´m playing with the qEditor and JJ´s RichMasm. But today I downloaded EasyCode too.

I´m too impressed with how friendly this community is! I´m spending a great deal of time skinning through old threads and checking out. Amazing.

LordAdef

Guys,

qEditor, demo 5 (numbers.asm):

It doesn´t compile. I´m pretty sure it´s not recognizing the "include \masm32\macros\macros.asm".
I commented all the includes and included the masm32rt.inc instead and all worked fine
Quoteinclude \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc

comment #
    include \masm32\include\windows.inc     ; always first
    include \masm32\macros\macros.asm       ; MASM support macros

; -----------------------------------------------------------------
  ; include files that have MASM format prototypes for function calls
    include \masm32\include\masm32.inc
    include \masm32\include\gdi32.inc
    include \masm32\include\user32.inc
    include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc

; ------------------------------------------------
  ; Library files that have definitions for function
  ; exports and tested reliable prebuilt code.
    includelib \masm32\lib\masm32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\gdi32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib
#

I´d like to know what´s happening

jj2007

Quote from: LordAdef on January 26, 2017, 11:19:40 AM
qEditor, demo 5 (numbers.asm):

It doesn´t compile. I´m pretty sure it´s not recognizing the "include \masm32\macros\macros.asm".
I´d like to know what´s happening

So you get an assembler error. Where did you find numbers.asm? Which error, which line? Same error in RichMasm?

hutch--

The original file was missing the include and library for MSVCRT. Including the "masm32rt.inc" file solves the problem as it does contain msvcrt. The original file was written in 2004 and something has changed since.

If you wanted to use the older form in the original, it would look like this.

; include files that have MASM format prototypes for function calls
    include \masm32\include\masm32.inc
    include \masm32\include\gdi32.inc
    include \masm32\include\user32.inc
    include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc
    include \masm32\include\msvcrt.inc

; Library files that have definitions for function
  ; exports and tested reliable prebuilt code.
    includelib \masm32\lib\masm32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\gdi32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib
    includelib \masm32\lib\msvcrt.lib