Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests
NB: Posting URL's See here: Posted URL Change

Main Menu

I'll be buying a new computer...

Started by zeddicus, March 29, 2018, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudoku

Quote from: TimoVJL on May 26, 2024, 10:52:38 PMI just bought a cheap better battery module from germany, so why you can't do that.
Do you mean for rebuilding the laptop battery with battery cells?
Or is it a replacement laptop battery? Or some sort of emergency power pack that plugs into the laptop? (I have something similar for my cellphone)

What shows in your picture is the laptop and power adapter (which also charges the laptop battery). And those are readily available just about everywhere here. (slight exaggeration)

So I am not sure what you mean by "battery module".
:azn:

NoCforMe

Quote from: sudoku on May 26, 2024, 07:39:44 PM
Quote from: NoCforMe on May 26, 2024, 02:08:06 PMIntel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 2992 MHz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors
... but maybe just what sudoko wants.
:dazzled: NOooooo!!! Thats exactly the CPU that I am running away from.  :joking:
So what exactly is so wrong with this CPU? How is it too slow for you?
I haven't run any benchmarks here (I'm not one of the speed-obsessed around here), but I've never noticed any slowness in the operation of my computah.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

sudoku

Hi NoCforMe:
My computer actually runs fine for casual usage, but during those benchmark testing threads it is quite apparent that this CPU is very much low-end performance wise. Reseating the CPU heatsink with fresh paste and an internal cleaning (from dust) might help, as I do think this box runs hot under heavy load which might be a contributing factor. Better cooling may also help it some.

Update, I have started the cleaning of the second of those two computers. Once that is finished, I will use that one while cleaning up the other.

NoCforMe

Well, you can actually monitor the temperature on these modren CPUs so you'd know for sure.
Not sure how that works, but it's possible.

sudoku

Quote from: NoCforMe on May 27, 2024, 04:44:28 AMWell, you can actually monitor the temperature ...
Okay, good tip. I downloaded and am running SpeedFan I have used it in the past.
This is the result: Running some heavy number crunchers in this screenshot.

I assume the 'flames' means it is indeed running hot.

Here, just browsing the forum:

So for "normal" usage it runs cool enough. but if I push it too hard, it gets really hot really fast.

sinsi

NoCforMe

Hmm; if you had upwards of a billion transistors on your die, you might get a mite hot too ...

BTW, I always smile when I realize that all that circuitry down there is analog, not "digital". You know, "on" and "off" voltage thresholds and all. Digital electronics is kind of an illusion ...

(In theory, anyway, purely digital switches would generate very little heat, as they'd be switching at either zero current or zero voltage. But this doesn't exist in the real world. There's this nasty thing called "resistance".)

sudoku

Could be much worse. Imagine now, those billion transistors on however many TTL chips necessary, or better still discrete transistors. Oh wait, vacuum tubes...
There's heat, then there's HEAT.  :biggrin:
You could fry up some eggs with those temperatures, hopefully not on my CPU.

NoCforMe

Well, there's this, a discrete 6502 ...

Which reminds me, I actually once made a discrete replica of a 555 that worked. No pics of the thing, but here's the wiring layout.

sudoku

:biggrin:
Did your home brew 555 work just like the IC?

NoCforMe

Yep, could flash blinky LEDs just like the chip. Actually could handle more current than those itty-bitty transistors.

daydreamer

Quote from: NoCforMe on May 29, 2024, 04:34:12 PMWell, there's this, a discrete 6502 ...

Which reminds me, I actually once made a discrete replica of a 555 that worked. No pics of the thing, but here's the wiring layout.

Cool CPU,wonder if they started with a 6501 and corrected that problem so it became 6502
65816 16 bit cpu in super Nintendo has bank switching ,similar to x86 16 bit dos segmented memory,but not exactly the same
Only running at 3.5ghz,Sega genesis 8mhz 68 k Motorola CPU had modern 32 bit addressing ,so it could run faster games
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

NoCforMe

Quote from: daydreamer on May 31, 2024, 04:06:58 AMCool CPU,wonder if they started with a 6501 and corrected that problem so it became 6502
Now why in the world would they do that? Sheesh ...

daydreamer

Quote from: NoCforMe on May 31, 2024, 08:49:22 AM
Quote from: daydreamer on May 31, 2024, 04:06:58 AMCool CPU,wonder if they started with a 6501 and corrected that problem so it became 6502
Now why in the world would they do that? Sheesh ...
I mean unintentionally have same problem they had when they gave away 6501 = problems with one rotate right opcode doesn't work,before they fixed it,after they fixed it CPU got number 6502
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

NoCforMe

Yes, but their (6502) project was started in the mid-2010s, not the 1980s.