Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Re: Beginner...Masm64 new install VIRUS ???? (not a virus)...Richard-001.asm

Started by jj2007, December 31, 2020, 10:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

jj2007

Quote from: Richard on December 31, 2020, 04:32:56 PMI have given up with windows for a high precision timer (approaching microseconds on my 2.4 GHz Intel i7 x64 computer) - it displays using an API resolution down to microseconds but repeatability/accuracy is extremely poor for me.

Check NanoTimer(): the effective resolution is about 0.3 microseconds; Delay until may also be interesting for you.

hutch--

Richard,

The basic design of the 32 bit SDK allows for the addition of the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version works fine by itself if you have not modified it and if you want to use the 64 bit version, you add ALL OF THE 64 BIT version into the 32 bit installation. Add the 64 bit VS binaries into the "bin64" directory and then test the example code to see if it builds correctly. From the VS version, use the x86 binaries, just add the whole lot to the bin64 directory including the extra directory and it should work.

Get it all up and going and you can build both 32 and 64 bit executables.

Richard

@jj2007

Still Problems - refer attachment.

Note - your zip file (FourX_1632) was extracted into a Downloads Folder (and your .exe you supplied were moved elsewhere). F6 was used to start compile version from your asc file. (Everything done while in the RichMasm IDE)

Problem #1
I understand that I need an app (msdos.exe) to actually run any 16 bit exe generated by RichMasm. THE PROBLEM HERE is that the 16 bit .exe does not exist when using F6 to create it.

Problem #2
Does RichMasm not like where the .asc file resides?

Note the .exe you supplied me in the zip file (FourX_1632) WORK in the appropriate environments (msdos.exe .../Windows cmd line).

I was only trying to recreate them from the .asc versions in the same zip file

EDIT  I used Windows File Explorer SEARCH FUNCTION but it could not find a newly created FourX_16.exe. Also I used a 3rd party recovery program and there was no "deleted FourX_16.exe" in the folder where FourX_16.asc resides. This recovery program was run very soon after F6 for FourX_16.asc so not much disc changes would have occurred to confuse anything.

PS thanks for providing the "split" (16/32) .asc files - it helped clear things up as originally I thought I had to "include stuff" in my Richard-001.asm whereas actually it was your rewrite of my Richard-001.asm (as a 32 bit program)

jj2007

This is tricky, Richard. It seems that the linker tries to create the exe but cannot do so because... and that is the question. Are you sure that the exe is NOT in the folder where the asc sits? Try to delete the exe manually, and hit F6 afterwards.

Questions:
- Does the 32-bit version work as it should? You hit F6, and the program runs?
- Can you find the 32-bit exe in the folder?
- Is there any chance that your antivirus "eats" the exe without asking your for permission?

> Problem #2
> Does RichMasm not like where the .asc file resides?
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the folder is on the same drive as the Masm32 installation. Anyway, try what happens if you copy the *.asc file to C:\Masm32\MasmBasic\FourX_16.asc, then open it there and hit F6.

Richard

@jj2007

This reply is split up (because maximum zip size = 512kB)

refer zip (...x16)

When in IDE (yellow) and hit F6 DOES NOT say as much info as when in IDE (yellow) pull down context menu and select "Build and Run F6"

I ASSUMED that F6 (ing) either way would be IDENTICAL???

see next post re(...x32)

EDIT   I forgot to mention...

An empty H:\ drive was created (100 MByte) and ONLY FourX_16.asc and FourX_32.asc were placed into same.

When run F6 first time a message saying .... needs to be installed - I choose the option to download (and extracted into H:\ drive).

Richard

@jj2007

refer attachment (...x32)

IDE (cyan) via FILE (context menu) "Build and Run F6" result

Richard

@jj2007

Possible GLITCH with RichMasm IDE

Refer attachment - this glitch occurs SOMETIMES - ie when the cursor is at "e" of FILE or "l" of FILE - as shown by the GREEN crosshairs - different context pull down menus are displayed.

Not a real problem for me as I have to read what the context menus say anyway.

It MAY be related to the fact that I have a high DPI display (3200 x 1800 native resolution).

Richard

Richard

@jj2007

SUCCESS

I copied FourX_16.asc and FourX_32.asc into the Masm32\MasmBasic FOLDER (they were never there before) and pressed F6 (ie did not use FILE context menu method) and results as per attachment.

The .exe files also worked in the relevant environment (eg    msdos FourX_16.exe     AND   normal windows cmd FourX32.exe)

The x32 had the red/blue blinking effect (but the screenshot did not show them actually blinking (only static))     :)

EDIT Just curious (not that it really matters at this stage) - FourX_32.asm AND FourX_32.obj NOT GENERATED in FOLDER

jj2007

Quote from: Richard on January 03, 2021, 02:07:01 PM
SUCCESS

Congrats :tongue:

QuoteFourX_32.asm AND FourX_32.obj NOT GENERATED in FOLDER

For tidiness, they are deleted once Assembly is finished (you can keep them with OPT_DelObj 0 and OPT_Tmp2Asm 1); apparently not for 16-bit code, I'll check that.

In any case, try if it works also from a different folder such as C:\Masm32\MasmBasic\AscUser (MyProjects32, My16BitCode etc); avoid the main MasmBasic folder and the Res folder.

Happy coding :thumbsup:

P.S.: If you are going the 32-bit road, check
a) your private messages
b) the deb macro
c) Integrated debugging (you need OllyDbg)

Let me know if it works, and keep posting :thup:

Richard

@jj2007

All appears to work with   Masm32\MasmBasic\RICHARD\FourX_1632\  FOLDER

Thanks

jj2007

Great :thumbsup:

Under File/New Masm source you'll find many templates. If you want to continue with 16-bit code, there is less choice, see (no, it's not 16-bit COM). Besides, there is the non-MasmBasic folder C:\Masm32\examples, which is full of interesting sources (they all build fine with RichMasm afaik - if not, let me know).

Richard

@jj2007

Just tried to File/New Masm source - a strange problem...

The cursor is initially in the top right quadrant of the green box (to select from a list of example groups) but as I navigate to the left MOST of the time when I go to the left to select a group the cursor "spring-returns" to the cursor initial position before I can select an option.

On the very few times I can successfully select it seems to be when I am very slowly navigating and not releasing the held down button. This problem is both with a conventional mouse AND also with a touchpad.

EDIT is my laptop intel i7 2.4 GHz "too fast" and results in a "timeout" for the cursor timing routine for selection? 

jj2007

Very odd. There is no timing routine for the cursor, it's a standard message loop. The green box is actually a normal RichMasm window, only the background colour is different. Do you have the same problem when you maximise the green window?