News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

The Waite Group's Microsoft Macro Assembler Bible??

Started by Shintaro, February 02, 2022, 05:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shintaro

Hi,
I am looking for a book that covers, specifically, MASM up to 6.1 and was wondering if anyone owned the book "The Waite Group's Microsoft Macro Assembler Bible." 
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30979057173&cm_sp=det-_-bsk-_-bdp

I can't seem to find a Table of Contents, so I don't know if there are better books specifically aimed at MASM?

Regards,
Craig
"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

Gunther

Quote from: Shintaro on February 02, 2022, 05:01:58 PM
I can't seem to find a Table of Contents, so I don't know if there are better books specifically aimed at MASM?

I think that book can help you more. In the next step, you could try this book.

But as I said, it's all a matter of taste. I hope that I could help you.
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

Shintaro

Quote from: Gunther on February 02, 2022, 11:57:14 PM

I think that book can help you more. In the next step, you could try this book.

Thanks mate, the first one is on its way and I was looking at that second book as well.

I must admit, I am becoming a bit of a fan of Ray Duncan and Andrew Schulman's books. Very good coverage of technical information.

Gunther

Quote from: Shintaro on February 03, 2022, 08:23:58 AM
Thanks mate, the first one is on its way and I was looking at that second book as well.

That's a good idea.

Quote from: Shintaro on February 03, 2022, 08:23:58 AM
I must admit, I am becoming a bit of a fan of Ray Duncan and Andrew Schulman's books. Very good coverage of technical information.

That's for sure. On this occasion you can also read this book. There Duncan, Schulman and a few others perform together.
It's an all-star team and they cover EMS, XMS and DOS Extenders with examples. You will like it. 

Shintaro

Quote from: Gunther on February 03, 2022, 08:35:02 PM

That's for sure. On this occasion you can also read this book. There Duncan, Schulman and a few others perform together. It's an all-star team and they cover EMS, XMS and DOS Extenders with examples. You will like it. 
I actually bought the 2nd Ed. of that book just before Christmas. That's what made me start to look at Ray Duncan's books.

I come to realize that information without context is difficult to retain, well for me at least. I would have thought that the MS books that come with the MASM compiler would be enough, but they just kind of list all the things their compiler does. It's only when reading it in context, then referring back to the MS books does it become clear...well for me at least.

Thanks again.

Gunther

Quote from: Shintaro on February 04, 2022, 03:28:25 PM
I come to realize that information without context is difficult to retain, well for me at least. I would have thought that the MS books that come with the MASM compiler would be enough, but they just kind of list all the things their compiler does. It's only when reading it in context, then referring back to the MS books does it become clear...well for me at least.

It's clear that a description of the commands is not enough. Examples of when and how which commands can be used are also required. You will find many examples of this in Ray Duncan's books.
By the way, I found this thread from 2010 in the old forum. But I don't know how he is doing now.

Shintaro

Quote from: Gunther on February 04, 2022, 09:44:45 PM

By the way, I found this thread from 2010 in the old forum. But I don't know how he is doing now.

Yea, funny you mentioned that, I had found the same thread, whilst I was looking for the source code for the Book Extending DOS. It appears that there isn't any. I do find bit and pieces around, like emsdisk.asm

Gunther

Quote from: Shintaro on February 04, 2022, 10:50:42 PM
Yea, funny you mentioned that, I had found the same thread, whilst I was looking for the source code for the Book Extending DOS. It appears that there isn't any. I do find bit and pieces around, like emsdisk.asm

Right, you will probably find only fragments of the source code. A CD did not come with the book. That was of course a disadvantage.